When Emily gets fussy and we are a bit impatient (have you had those times?), Ben puts her on his shoulders. The new vantage point usually has an immediate soothing response. Plus, we can get some excellent 'happy' pictures.
At the moment we are enjoying our nice short reprieve of a 3-day weekend.
If I may comment on that (because YOU are obviously going to stop me, hah!). On occasion, I find myself getting into the -celebrate the weekend- mode. If you are not familiar with this, let me inform you. This state of mind is when you look at the week, realize how busy it is with: work, homework, classes, kids, church callings, etc., and think ohhhh I just can't wait until the weekend comes, this week is too long.. It is quite easy to succumb to this train of thought. In fact, Sister Samuelson, the wife of our current school President, gave a devotional on this very topic entitled celebrate the day.
I had a bit of an anxiety attack when I realized that I would be graduating next December. I realized that in all my desires to get out of school and on with my life I had never thought about what getting on with my life would entail. I imagined homework-,test-, and stress-free days with all the time in the world to complete my household tasks. After I had Emily, these dreams included spending more time playing with her and not worrying about getting this or that done regarding school. Now, I realize that I have absolutely enjoyed (almost) every class that I have had at this glorious school. I have learned so many great skills through necessity (like writing a 10-12 page journal-ready paper in 3-4 days) and have found so many new interests through GE classes.
After reviewing all these amazing blessings I have received while attending school, I don't feel quite so hurried to get into the cap and gown. I also look forward to every week, every DAY, that I am in class learning one more thing that I can share with Ben, my family, and can apply to my personal life.
With all of these awakenings my excitement for the weekend became a little less bright. Not that I don't enjoy date night, church, and other fun things we do over the weekend, I just don't look at it as a few days to retire from the stress of the current week. Since I am usually doing homework on Saturday and getting up early on Monday anyway, my weekends aren't all that school aversive.
Instead of looking at the week like it is some enemy to conquer, I am learning to embrace it and all of the beauties that come from every day that I am alive and get to love my husband and my beautiful daughter. Besides, God made 7 days, why not enjoy every day and show Him a little appreciation for His hard work.
Although, I do enjoy watching Emily and Daddy dance on Sundays. (Usually to A House is Not a Home by Luther Vandross.)
2 comments:
Nothing like a Daddy dancing with his little Queen. We all know how much she loves to be next to Bens hair. Does she still want to eat it? She looks like she has gotten even bigger.Slow down,baby!Thanks for checking out the the restaurant.Dad is always impressed by how Quick Ben is. He always has his back.
She is just growing up too fast! We just can't believe she will be 6 months in less than a month. Amber, we adore you and thanks for keeping your distant Grampa and Nananan able to see the Queen. Ben, you are just a great dad. We COULD NOT be prouder of you too. Oh, yeah, and Emmy is cute too.
Grampa T
Post a Comment