B. and I are sleep deprived. We are sleep deprived in multiple domains. In the college student domain, the parent domain, relaxed domain (too relaxed to get into bed), and the so tired so that your body cannot sleep domain.
With all this sleep deprivation we are feeling a little bit tense. Okay, very tense. B. shows it through his facial expressions, I just get weepy. I think his is worse (wink wink). I probably should not post while in this state of mind, but posting is therapeutic. Note to reader: This is sleep deprived Ambrosia talking. I know that I will make it through, I just need a little room to vent.
The first round of mid-terms have come on us (FYI, we have on average 3-4 rounds before finals). Poor B. has 3 or 4 (I can't remember the exact number) to take in the next 7 days. Here at the good 'ol Y we have to take our exams separate from the classroom. This means that we have to find a time in our already packed schedules to not only study but to take the test while still keeping up on our reading for the next unit that has already begun before the test for the first unit has started. Confused? So am I. Kind of. Not really. Think of this more of a rambling to help you understand the complexity with which we have to take our exams and manage the rest of our school load. Usually, I plan a time in between classes and take it then. However, I now have a daughter to feed. Since I hate giving her formula more times than I have to, I need to plan my test around her feeding schedule (every 2 hours from her first feeding that morning). This can be tricky because I have to account for lines in the testing center as well as the time I need to take the exam. Plus, I need to make sure that B. can take the Girl while I take my midterm. As you can see, it can become quite the ordeal. Note to reader: I have thought this through many times. Sure, I could leave the Girl with a baby-sitter, but that would take away 20 minutes to the already limited time I have in order to take the test. Yes, it is THAT complicated.
Before I completely discourage everyone from ever having a child, let me make a side note. I am so glad that I (and B.) chose to have a baby at this time. It makes things a little bit harder, but no less enjoyable. Also, attending BYU and having a baby (despite the fact that many woman do this) is not like attending another university with a baby (or other children for that matter). BYU has strict standards on how many hours of homework teachers need to give outside of class time, how hard the tests need to be, and certain core requirements that teachers have to meet. Thus, if you want to have a baby while going school, try to avoid the Y. You will have your own unique challenges.
With that note aside, I am feeling a little overwhelmed. However, now that I have been able to gulp down lunch (a little late, but time is money people), I am feeling quite a bit better about things. Most of my stress is positively correlated with B.'s stress. As his stress increases, my stress increases. I have many deadlines closing in, but nothing that I can't handle (on a good day). Okay, crisis resolved.
On a better note.
Emily is sitting up on her own! She still pitches forward to grab things (something that she will figure out in a few weeks), but loves to sit with mommy and daddy at dinner time. Yes, I said dinner time. She is now eating one regular (if you can call rice cereal with mashed veggies regular) meal with mommy and daddy. It doesn't matter that most of HER meal ends up on her bib, it is still a major stepping stone.
If you were wondering how our life style change is going, I can only say GRRRRRREAT! We now have a larger meal at lunch time (because we are usually starving by then), snack in between, and eat a small dinner. Add no sugar and regular exercise and we feel pretty healthy. I have an areobics class 3 times per week where I dance for exercise (zumba) and I love it. So, all in all we are surviving. We feel worn out, but okay.
Emily is sleeping a little more regularly (except for last night) and that makes me happy. Of course, Ben and I still have to wake up early in the morning (try 4 am) to complete homework, read, do dishes, and start our dinner, but you do what you have to do. However, if you complain about little sleep to me just know that I have no sympathy. It was thrown away with today's trash (which I grumpily heard this morning while I was feeding Her Highness).
All of the positive feelings I have derive from Ben, Emily, and the Gospel. How could I possibly keep a grumpy face when I am greeted by her beautiful face in the morning, after class, and after she wakes up from a nap? Which is why I need to say good-bye. She is calling (more like grunting) for me to come get her out of her horrible contraption to change her diaper.
Sorry, no batteries for the camera. Once again, time is money.
6 comments:
I'm so glad that she's sitting up and eating food. She's growing up so fast. I'm happy that you guys are making your crazy schedule work (as much as possible for any mere mortal). Good luck with midterms, I know you can handle it.
I'm so glad that I know you. You're such a good example even if you're stressed and life is crazy! Love you
We think about you all the time.
Hang in there and know we are all behind you out here in Cali. Love to all!
Grampa T
AMBER! I found your blog! I am sorry it took me so long. :) Do you still remember me? ha ha. I hope things are going well (even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes) I think it is really remarkable that you are pulling through so well, what with everything else that is going on. Love you!! Take care.
-Jenna (from Spanish class!)
You are all amazing,I know the Lord is looking out for you. We are always praying for you knowing it must be very tough to keep moving forward at times. You are allowed to get frustrated. You did make the right decision to have sweet little Emily. We love you. Mom
I was always in awe of students with babies when I was at BYU. It's a lot of work, but SO SO worth it. You will be glad for the rest of your life that you went to school. You'll be a better mom and you kids will be better kids for it.
Post a Comment