Header

Header

Monday, August 17, 2009

Oh, the Places You'll Go!

My dear friend, Brit, gave me Dr. Seuss' book Oh, the Places You'll Go as a present. A graduation present. It is official, I am a BYU alumnus holding a Bachelor's of Science (BS) degree.




This is why you haven't heard from me in a while, between moving back to Utah after our 10-week internship and graduation, my time has been severely limited.

The graduation ceremony was wonderful. My school (School of Family Life) was separated from my college's (Family, Home, and Social Sciences) graduation ceremony which made for a very pleasant and short presentation. To ensure that I came, I was asked to give the opening prayer. This allowed my family to see me throughout the presentation and many photos to be snapped of me zoning out during the speeches. At least my name was in the program twice!

To celebrate this momentous occasion, a party was given in my honor. Many family members and friends came and gave me a high-five, of which I was very grateful for. Here are some snapshots of the party.




















Reflecting back on my college experience, I feel the need to thank you. All of you. Without your prayers, words of encouragement, and love, all the struggles would have been much harder. Thank you for helping me reach the stars!

I know many women who cannot do school and pregnancy/babies at the same time, as well as many women who put their family first and saved school for another time. You are just as/even more amazing a person than I am. School is very difficult, it requires sacrifices of time and severe dedication. Every woman, and man, has different circumstances that decide when and how they will complete school. To each of you, I tip my hat.

When I was 15 I made a list of the goals that I wished to complete in my lifetime.
-Receive a college degree from BYU
-Get married in the temple
-Marry a worthy, returned missionary
-Become a mother


This list was short because I saw these goals as the most important and thought they would take a long time to complete. Yet, here I am at age 22 with all of my goals checked off. Dr. Seuss' book has reminded me that I need to make some new ones. The places I will go are yet undetermined, but wherever I am I plan on making a difference. Whether in church or in the community, I will contribute my talents to helping others achieve their personal goals. To each of you who feel hopeless, let this encourage you. We all have the ability to achieve our goals, when and how is up to you.

5 comments:

The Evelands said...

Congrats Amber! You did so good at juggling so many things at the same time. Looks like the party was great and I love the pics, especially the one with you and your dad!

Grandma Peggy and John said...

Amber, what a wonderful accomplishment. You look so happy.
Congratulations. Now, relax, enjoy
Emily and look forward to your precious new son. Have you decided on a name yet?

Grandma Peggy and John said...

I have no idea how my signature came up with &amp, so I don't know how to fix it, but it's really supposed to be Grandma Peggy and John. Oh, well.

Eli and Christine Turner said...

We're so so happy for you! You've worked so very hard and deserve this degree! I know that wherever you are and whatever you do, you'll be successful in the way you want to be. Love you guys!

Ambrosia said...

We haven't decided on a name yet, so we're open to suggestions!