Header

Header

Friday, September 25, 2009

Siblings

I am the second of 10. Many of you already know this, but I haven't shared much about that experience. Growing up, my two sisters and I--Ratchet and Otter-Pop kept each other entertained. We would make elaborate scenes with our barbies. We let our imaginations go wild in our back yard, dreaming up oceans and pirates and damzels in distress. We would play games that were fun, if not dangerous (remember hide-and-seek blindfolded?). When our other siblings came along, especially our brothers, we used them to our advantage. Dressing them up like little dolls, and practicing being "mommies". These games are probably why I am comfortable in mommy shoes. Being around little children is my dream job. I am lucky to do just that every day.
The girls I watch remind me of my sisters and me. Jbelly and Lex-Lex converse and play with each other constantly. Lex-Lex loves to do everything her sister does. Jbelly is patient with Lex-Lex's youth. Both comfort each other when one is sad. They also play great games with Little Lion and the Queen. I am so happy that the Queen has been exposed to what siblings are like.

Jbelly and Lex-Lex take time to read the Queen a story
A sibling relationship is a relationship unlike any other. Hurt, anger, joy,and  love, derive from interactions. Siblings will taunt and tease, love and comfort, in the same sentence. Siblings learn how to share and how to help. It is not a perfect relationship and can lead to heartbreak and pain. But, I think that sibling relationships can be the most rewarding.
My sisters and I are all grown up now. We don't play like we used to, but when we get together we can still have fun. I have watched as Ratchet has become a successful businesswoman and my Otter-Pop has become a doting mother. I have been amazed at their stalwart attitudes, touched by their acts of kindness, and grateful for their sweet words.
My younger siblings are still growing up. They are still in school (with one exception) and excelling like I hoped and knew they could. I cry over their hurts and rejoice in their successes. I am sad that I live a state away, but am glad whenever I get to see them.
While having many siblings meant I did not have the one-on-one attention from my parents that could come from smaller families, I was never neglected. I knew I could turn to any of my sisters for comfort, and could offer support to any of my siblings in return. When I have been sad, my younger siblings will often hurry to comfort me. Until it was pointed out, I didn't realize my mom couldn't devote 100% to me all the time. I guess I felt I had 100% attention from somewhere and subsequently felt very satisfied.
I look forward to seeing how the Queen interacts with her little brother. I know she will be an excellent older sister, one that will dote lovingly on her baby brother.
Siblings, what a blessing!

2 comments:

Thomas Turner said...

Thank you, my daughter. You are a blessing.

Charlotte said...

I know what you mean. I feel like my youngest receives more attention that my oldest ever did. He has 3 mothers instead of one. I love how my kids interact (when they aren't killing each other anyway) and I love that, now that we are all grown and have our own families, I can still enjoy my siblings' company.