When you emerged into this world, your curiosity was unquenchable. That first night, you stayed up with your dad, learning about your new world. Your bright eyes--big even then--stared at everything with wonder and amazement. With your first breath, you stole my heart.
That curiosity has remained part of your personality. You learned to sit up, crawl, and walk around on furniture early because it enabled you to explore further and deeper. Though your adventurous spirit often led to calls to the Poison Control or the doctor, I was ecstatic to have such an interested student of life.
This day marks your second year in this world. Thinking about that makes me gasp with how remarkably fast everything went. I am not sad to see you grow up because I thoroughly enjoyed your infancy. Your ready smile and brilliant, blue eyes kept me joyful and captivated. You taught--continue to teach--me how to be a mother. Even when your brother came so soon after your own year birthday, you remained the happy little girl you have always been.
As you are learning to communicate better, I am discovering another component of your personality: compassion. When I am frustrated or in pain, you immediately recognize that something is wrong and quickly quip, "Are you okay?" while pausing in whatever endeavor you were pursuing. This question always gives me chills, even when I respond, honestly, "No, I'm not." This coupled with watching you interact with your younger brother has given me brief glimpses of the woman you will become one day. I hope that you cherish that bond between your brother and yourself.
Dearest Emily, you have been patient with me during my evolution these past two years. I am constantly grateful for your everlasting love. You and your brother are my greatest treasures.
Love,
Your Mother


2 comments:
2 years! Our single days as CA's seems only like yesterday and look how much has happened in between! Happy Birthday to Emily!
Beautiful! I am sure this will be a treasure to her, you should make a printed copy. =)
Post a Comment