Header

Header

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Creating New Traditions: Celebrating Solstice & Christmas

Solstice

This year, I tapped into my inner astronomy-nerd, and made a new tradition of celebrating Winter Solstice.  While most people celebrate with bonfires, I wanted this to be about family and light.

In preparation, we bought a tree and ornaments and let the kids decorate.





We bought a real tree from Home Depot, with the kids helping choose it, then went to a different store to find ornaments and Christmas lights.  Emily also insisted on candy canes, so we bought 2 boxes.  They lasted, like, 1 day before we had to hide them.

Afterwards, we ate a delicious candlelight dinner--Solstice Soup--with good friends,

Finally, we enjoyed dessert.  Yummy!

Christmas

The kids woke up late, I'm talking 4 AM late.  Jeez, we missed a whole chunk of the morning because of their tardiness.  Nevertheless, we managed to make the most of it.

We opened presents.























In no particular order, Andrew received fire trucks, a book about firetrucks, a firetruck house thing, and more firetrucks.  He also got a Cars pillow, a tool set, and some more books.  For your information, he has not let go of his fire trucks all day long.  Nor will he put his firetruck book down.

Emily received a mini-computer with two games (which she loves), doll clothes with a doll, 2 outfits (that she has already worn), a Llama Llama book, and a princess dress.  She was also sent a jewelry box with beautiful earrings.  Considering her age, I confiscated both until she is old enough to use them properly.  (Also, she LIKES to share with me. I promise.  I think of it like an heirloom that I will eventually pass down to her.)

The rest of the morning went something like this: I spent the time resting on the couch, convincing my body it did NOT want to puke; the kids played with their toys; Emily changed clothes a billion times; Andrew snuggled up to me on the couch, exclaiming "Momm-ee sleeping?" while alternately kicking and punching my weak stomach; I finally worked up the energy to make hot chocolate and feed the kids donuts; and we called family.  Pretty chill.

We then took a 4-hour nap, after lunch.  After which, we made sugar cookies and called more family.

We finished the evening with a delicious meal of tacos, brownies, and ice cream.  A pretty amazing day.

This holiday season had been wonderful.  I'm thinking we've made some new traditions that will actually stick.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Wow, a real Christmas tree coming from someone who doesn't celebrate holidays? I'm impressed! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!