Header

Header

Monday, August 24, 2009

Predicament

We moved into our apartment with the intention of living here until B. was finished with school. It was a steal of a deal and helped us save money. After a year, I still felt confident in our decision.

Something you have to understand about this basement, it has been only rented out to family members since its inception. Because of this, zoning laws are very relaxed--no contracts are needed. The landlord does not like to fix the place up. He is from the depression age when money was not wasted, so when things are fixed (that are necessary) will let you know how much money he had to spend for months afterward. Being newly married and ignorant, we didn't think anything of the arrangement. We felt so lucky to get into the place, which we were, that we didn't take the time to carefully review what was going to happen.

Then
-little bugs infested our bathroom.
-We found out we would have roommates in the other part of the basement, who would share our laundry room (as their bathroom), on the day they moved in.
-I killed 5 spiders in one afternoon.
-Our bathroom sink came off the wall.
-Our toilet began clogging after 5 flushes.
-Our kitchen sink began clogging nearly every time I did dishes.
-We would run out of hot water after 10 minutes.
-The toilet upstairs began leaking through our bathroom ceiling.
-We found out that our ceiling was probably made with asbestos. Not a big deal unless the ceiling is damaged, which ours is.

B. managed to facially fix most of the plumbing issues and convinced me that we really had no other options at that time but to continue living there. I consented.

Our "roommates" are super sweet, but sharing a space is not only ridiculous for two married couples, but no doubt against Provo's strict zoning laws. After being locked out for the entire day from our laundry room on multiple occasions, I could not take it anymore. B. agreed that the time had probably come to move. We decided upon moving out the next December.

After moving to Sacramento for two months, I told B. that I could live for the remainder of his schooling in our apartment if we made some changes. I knew it was the best financial decision for us, and was sure I could do this.

Then we came home and our sink broke. It wasn't the usual clogging, nope, B. tried everything to unclog the sink (mind you, it was 11pm). At the same time, our little AC window unit fell out of the window. During this whole episode, we realized that mold was growing under our sink.

That was the last straw. I completely went into hysterics. B. felt helpless and very sad. The next day, after I had prayed for comfort, I was able to see things rationally. We had convinced our landlord to fix our sink, so the plumber came over to do the job. Poor guy, it was a mess.

I told B., when he came home from work, that there was no way our landlord would make the necessary changes that would convince me to stay. I began looking for different apartments. Pretty soon, I had a sheet full of possible apartments that were in our budget.

The next day, after clearing this with B., I began calling. Our search had begun.

It has now been 4 days. We have looked at multiple apartments and have narrowed our choices down to 2. Both apartments are clean, have newer carpets, have separate kitchens, are in our price range, and are not basements. We are praying for help in determining which apartment would best fit our family.

With this decision made, I am more at peace with my life than I have been in a while.

The following are the promised videos.

These two show the Queen's throwing skills, as learned from her dad. One is sideways, sorry!



You will have to listen closely to hear this one, it is the Queen's old man's voice.


This shows the Queen's mobility.


Finally, a walking video!!


B. and I will probably be packing up this week, please pray that we make the right decision!

7 comments:

Tyler and Carisa said...

Good luck!! Tyler and I had a situation like that - we had never planned on moving so soon after being married, but there we were: one impossible landlord and an apartment that was way over priced.

Even though it's not what we wanted, we were able to find a bigger/better/cheaper place in the same area of town.

Good luck deciding. Just think of this as some in depth end-of-summer cleaning. =D

Lauren said...

I hope you really like the place that you get!!

Paul and Shannie said...

OH! No! I am so sorry for all of your troubles! Asbestosis and mold are not worth messing with! I grew up in a home with mold and paid for it. I battled for my health for a year in high school, after initially being hospitalized. Mold can really do damage.

You are making a good choice. Paying a little more for rent is worth it so you don't have to pay for it with your health.

Let us know if we can help!

Marla and Jim said...

The powers that be allow us to be in situations when the time is right. When you first were in that apartment you were not aware of everything. Now you are. These are the nudgings which tell you it is time to go on to other experiences.
This move is a wise choice and you will be guided. Life is one big solution after another. Keep up the good living. We are here to enjoy the trip and not only the destination.

Terrific Thomas' said...

Yikes!! Good Luck!

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

Tragic apartment! My sympathies with crappy living conditions! It's miserable to hate where you live. Good luck on the apartment search!

Autumn said...

Moving....especially while pregnant is no fun! Matt and I just did it, our landlord said a newborn would cause to much wear on the apartment and that we'd have to be out by dec 25 if we stayed so opportunity knocked and we moved. It wasn't fun but I'm glad to be to a better place.

I'm glad you'll be getting to a better place as well, basements especially yours aren't that much fun. Good luck with the choice, have you applied for both just to make sure?

In addition if you need help moving please call us. We don't have a truck but we can make room in our jeep which can hold a surprising amount as we found out and I would love to come help pack as long as you didn't mind if I drug Lela along to play with the queen.

Take care!