Header

Header

Friday, April 8, 2011

I have arrived.

This is it, the point I wanted to reach but have struggled against invisible forces keeping me away from fulfillment: I am content being a mother.  More importantly, I am thrilled to wake up each day knowing I get to spend the next 12 or so hours with my delightful children.

A friend recently asked (on her blog) if all mothers feel bored when they are home with their babies:  The repetition is monotonous; the hours stretch forever; the empty space filled with little baby sounds and a mother talking just to hear an adult voice.  

I remember that.  Even though my time with Emily was precious, it wasn't easy.  Once Andrew came, it was filled with so much more activity--mostly of the intense variety as both kids would be screaming at once, or tag-screaming; but it was less lonely. 

Unfortunately, it came back--the boredom.  Most of it could be attributed to anxiety and depression issues, which doesn't make it any less real but can explain certain aspects.  I can say, though, at the beginning of March I noticed a significant change. Yes the days could still be called monotonous; it wasn't a change in routine, it was a change within myself. 

It started when I altered my reading interests from fiction-focused to educational-focused.  I am not opposed to fiction; but it was not satiating my intense craving for mental stimulation.  I went on a book fast for months because I felt dissatisfied with the obtuse and--too often--obscene dialogs and ridiculous plots.  I decided to try a book suggestion from one of my favorite podcasts, Stuff You Missed In History ClassThe Six Wives of Henry the VIII by Antonia Fraser.     

This marvelous historical non-fiction book not only got my brain working again, but supplied my very busy mind with important topics to think about and discuss with Ben at a later time.  I started making connections between events that happened then with events that are happening now.  (It's rather sad when I realized the world's ignominious ideologies have remained stagnant--a topic for another time.) It fueled my newly acquired--or, more accurately, newly recognized--humanitarian based ideology.  

After reading that book, I inhaled many of her other books: Marie Antoinette: The Journey; Love and Louis XIV: The Women in the Life of the Sun King.  Soon I moved to other authors--David Grann, A. N. Wilson, Alison Weir.  My synapses went crazy as new relationships between the past and the present were forged in the middle of my brain.  I went to bed exhausted by the mental debates I engaged in throughout the day.

Through talking with Ben, I formed new personal philosophies which helped provide the foundation for writing the guest post, entitled My Personal Road to Salvation, for a good friend's blog. 
At the same time, I no longer needed to spend hours on the computer away from my children.  I wanted to read, play, and color with them.  I started dancing and cleaning and wreaking havoc on the household next to them rather than only observing.  It's been a remarkable shift going from dreading the day to looking forward to it.

Don't get me wrong, life isn't all roses and Playdough.  There are still days when I want to pull my hair out, but those days are much less significant when I compare them to the fun the kids and I have on a regular basis. All in all, I am content.  Happy.  Excited.

Life is good.






















5 comments:

Ashley said...

awe, i love all these photos. herm herm and emmy are absolutely beautiful. xx smooches to all.

Jamie said...

I think that is really cool that you made a change. I wish I could do the same. I feel the boredom.

Susan Turner Educational Services said...

amber, you are awesome. Keeping the adult mind in creative/thoughtful mode whilst being with the young'uns is a challenge that you have risen to. I look forward to a long talk about your evolving ideas!
love, Aunt Sue
PS--it's unfortunate you didn't get really adorable children (she said sardonically); I especially love the tupperware chapeau, and how very much Amdrew looks like Little Ben at that age.

Bryn said...

Hey Amber...I"m moving away from fiction myself...conciously. Too emotional and doesn't bring the desired reprecutions of brain stimulation long after the book is closed. I don't get the chance to read much but when I do...I want it to stick with me..so I choose things that I want to stick with me.

Bryson and Tara said...

I am so glad that you're enjoying your children more and that you're happy, Amber! I certainly have good days and bad days myself. As much as I love to escape into a good fiction novel, I think you have a point that non-fiction books challenge and stimulate you...plus provide something for you to talk about with your hubby. Thanks for sharing!