Header
Saturday, September 3, 2011
The Insanity of Two Toddlers
Having Emily and Andrew 14 months apart was never really a problem. Until recently. All the moms who had similar situations told me the first year would be the hardest. They were wrong. WRONG I tell you. It is much easier to have two babies than two toddlers.
Example One: NOISE
Andrew is finding screaming to be delightful. From sun up until bedtime (which, thankfully, happens before sundown at the moment) I hear, "MINE," "NO," "MORE," "GO," "OUTSIDE," and "MOMMY." He has also started in on a grunt/scream/tantrum thing. It's a strange blend and one that is hard to ignore.
If Emily does not want to do something, or doesn't want ME to do something, she yells. Wait, it's more than a yell. It's a "I AM NOT OKAY WITH THIS SITUATION AND YOU BETTER CHANGE IT FAST" scream. My head hurts just thinking about it.
Example Two: Trouble
Emily is maturing. That is a truth. However, when she gets in trouble, she gets in trouble AND brings Andrew down with her. Just this past week, I was in the kitchen doing dishes when I came out to a mess: cushions off the couch and on the floor, the cleaned-but-not-put-away clothes sprinkling the cushions, and Emily and Andrew spreading the juice from their cups all over the coffee table and floor.
Of course, Andrew could single-handedly bring down the house. Between stuffing the toilets with towels, toothbrushes, and other items, and dumping the cupboards and bookshelves, are house can regularly look like a war zone.
Ok, it's not all bad. It's not even 60/40 good/ bad. It's more 75/25.
Example one: Love
The love these two have for each other is palpable. Between hugging, sharing, and playing, I observe an unbelievable amount of affection. They are best friends. When one is absent, the other is horribly sad!
Don't get me started on the outpouring of love Ben and I receive. I take that back, DO get me started. They attack us constantly with kisses. When we come back from dates or other activities, they run into our arms filled with joy. When our days have been bad, we both find comfort and happiness in our two kiddos.
Example two: Fun
Toddlers can be a handful. They can also be extremely fun! Taking the kids on errands and to activities is an adventure--they entertain us and the people around them. And the stuff they say and do? Oh man. I think I laugh like 70% of the day.
I know that Ben's highlight of the day is coming home to these two. And I think we all know why.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment