Header
Monday, November 14, 2011
I Want Cereal...Or Something
Little Emily is clever. She picks up everything we say and incorporates it into her vocabulary. Things like, "I am too little to do that (usually involving things she doesn't want to do, go figure)," and "Andrew, you understand? You have to say sorry and give hugs and loves."
Dear me, where did this Preschooler come from? Just yesterday she was a tiny infant, small enough to fit into the enclave in my chest. Now she is a 3-year-old that speaks in clear, complete sentences about things she shouldn't be talking about--at least to my parent mind. I mean, what kid should be talking about friends, super heroes, and "the whole wide world?" Not my kid. She should be talking about....dogs. Or something.
Which reminds me, she adds "or something," to every want. Like, "I want milk, or something."
Thankfully, she is very careful about pointing out she is (or was?) a baby, just like our friend's baby girl (a 3-month-old) and, therefore, should be wearing baby clothes. Like this dress--her dress from when she was blessed at 3 months.
I know what you're thinking--how did she even fit that over her head? I'm still trying to figure out how she fit it over her arms and belly. Dear me, this girl is tiny. Maybe if she actually ATE something she would gain weight. But, nope, she insists on surviving solely on cheerios, goldfish, and fruit snacks. Occasionally she'll eat some bread. If the doctor hadn't assured us at her 3-year checkup that she was fine ("height and weight comparison is right on target") I would consider sending her to therapy. Or something. (I just don't know who she picked up that phrase from.)
Alas, she refuses dinner--except cheerios--and wakes up at 5 am with the words, "Daddy! I'm starving. I want cheerios, or something." (I've carefully positioned myself away from the door so Ben is the first parent they will see.) (Brilliant, I know.)
I think our favorite things Emily says comes from her preschool. She sings all sorts of songs, like "God is Great" and "I Am A Camel" (If anyone knows what that song is, please tell us, we can't find the lyrics anywhere) (I guess we *could* ask her teachers).
Lately, she sings a song that goes like this,
Good morning [insert name]
Good morning [name]
Good morning [name]
How are you today?
]Insert speaking part]
What do you want to do today?
Okay. Pick a friend!
The result goes like this,
Good morning, Mommy
Good morning, Mommy
Good morning, Mommy!
How are you today?
Emily: What do you wanna do today?
Me: Um...eat dinner.
Emily: Okay. Pick a friend!
This lasts our entire car ride to and from preschool/work/store/etc. It's pretty entertaining.
She has also become an adept story teller. She recaps all sorts of events from her day at preschool to what she has done in the morning to what she watched on SuperWhy.
And this is why our daughter makes everyday wonderful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment