Header

Header

Monday, January 23, 2012

10 Weeks (And Feeling Oh So Yucky)

According to Babycenter, the baby is the size of a kumquat.  Since I have NO idea what that is, I am envisioning a hairy piece of fruit the size of a plum.  Sounds like a cute baby to me.

How I'm Doing

After I quit my job, Ben and I agreed that bed rest would be the best option.  Therefore, I recline on the couch or sleep in my bed from sun-up to sun-down.  I don't go out, because walking tends to make the sickness worse, nor do I cook, clean, or do anything that might increase the dizziness and nausea.  It's frustrating to be so helpless and rely on Ben for everything; however, it is helping: I have stopped vomiting as much; reversed the weight loss; and am feeling less dizzy.  Unfortunately, the process starts as soon as I get up and/or stop taking Zofran regularly.  Yet I can't help but feel lucky that things have worked out so smoothly regarding this pregnancy and the help Ben has been providing.

Naturally, I am emotional.  With this being the third viable pregnancy, I'm pretty good at recognizing when pregnancy overrides rational thought.  And so is Ben.

How Ben Is Doing


Thanks to Prolactin, Ben is having sympathy nausea and muscle pains.  He is also feeling emotional and cries during football games, movies, and commercials.  He has yet to yell at me over little things, but I'm sure it's coming.

How the Kids Are Doing (Complete With Random Pictures)





I've explained to Emily and Andrew that I am pregnant with a monster.  They find this to be fascinating and regale me with tales about their monster slayings over the past week.



When people talk about babies, Emily immediately pipes up with, "Mommy has a baby in her tummy!"  (She also mentions that the baby is a monster.  Then she laughs.  She is very astute when it comes to sarcasm and jokes.  We are raising her well.)  She is very excited about another sister/brother joining our family.  She really likes going to the appointments with us and listening/seeing the baby and heartbeat.






Andrew is thrilled that Emily is thrilled.  When he sees a baby, he responds with, "a baby, mommy, in your tummy!"

Both understand that I am really sick and are quite gracious at fetching food and beverages for me.  I am lucky to have such sweet babies.



It's been wonderful to watch as Emily and Andrew absorb the news of  the new baby.  Because they are more cognizant of the world, they understand so much more than Emily did when I was pregnant with Andrew.  It's been surprisingly fun!

Appointments, Lots of Appointments


Since I've been so sick, and because I have a high risk of miscarrying, I am in the office at least once a week.  We've gone from vaginal ultrasounds to stomach ultrasounds and have seen the baby grow from a lima bean to a piece of fruit (see above).  I guess it's good that we have so much ultrasound experience, because the doctor doesn't even need to point to the baby and the heartbeat.  In fact, usually I spot it first.

One more thing, 10 weeks is a monumental event for me.  I am so happy to have made it this far.

No comments: