Each morning begins around 5 am. Despite the early hour, I still manage to leave the house 5 or 10 minutes later than planned, desperately hoping I grabbed everything I needed (usually I don't). It turns out that even the most planned out morning can quickly turn sour when one has 3 kids under 6 to feed, get dressed, and pack their lunches and other items on top of needing to get oneself dressed and packed for the day. I would use my nights more effectively if I were home at a decent hour but I am often working or finishing homework until 11 and have limited time to plan or much less execute said plans in the evening.
Every morning goes something like this: wake up, exercise (maybe), feed the kids amidst tantrums from the toddler, clean up the breakfast mess, find clothes for the kids, ask the older two 100+ times to please get dressed in their clothes, prepare tooth brushes and ask and/or chase down all 3 kids to brush their teeth, and prepare then pack the lunches; realize that it's 30 minutes before go time and that Amelia has made a ginormous mess out of something that needs immediate attention while I still haven't showered, dressed or finished my hair; also recognize it's below freezing and that I need to start the car.
By the time I have buckled all the kids in the car and gathered all necessary items to get everyone to their appropriate place, I am close to tears.
The big story in all this is that kids are a huge inconvenience. Getting ready before them was so much more pleasant and easier.
HOWEVER. My crazy schedule and my crazy goals and my crazy dreams are all possible because I have kids. I wouldn't have thought about a career in engineering or anything related to the future had I not had kids because I now have three people I want to give everything to. I want to create a positive future for them and I am in a position to do so. I also want them to see both their mom and dad working hard to provide for the family so that when they are old enough to begin that journey they will know that it requires a lot of work and sacrifice. Sometimes it means going without days off and working three jobs and going to school and sometimes it means supporting your partner while he/she does those things.
Basically, I am so super grateful for my three children. Every inconvenience, every tear, every tantrum, every mess, every everything just encourages me to work harder for them. They are the sweetest, kindest, most beautiful, and most annoying people I have in my life. I wouldn't have it any other way.
Yes, mornings make me cry. But, sometimes those tears are necessary to remind me to keep going through these hard parts because it will be so worth it in the end.
2 comments:
Thank you! I didn't know you were going to school for engineering! Hope things are going well for you and your adorable family (:
Amber,
Thank you for this post! Though you may not see it now, but I know that everything you do for your children is and will be planted in their memories for ever. When they grow up, the times they will treasure most is when their mother and father were there, giving it their best effort. I love you, sister, and I love your sweet family! Keep up the hard work and the positive attitude. It's that light that what will get you through the tough times.
Post a Comment