Header

Header

Monday, July 27, 2009

The Best 2 Years!

I enjoy love stories, especially mine. I hope you do too because I am writing down our incredible journey to where we are today. I would have pictures, but we are not at home so I do not have all my pictures with me. Not even wedding photos! Oh well! Plus, I am breaking all my rules. Lucky you!
Ben and I met in Alaska when I was 15. He was my boss, and I thought he was hot. After sharing interest in the church with my dad, he began taking missionary discussions. Within a few months he decided to get baptized--in June. We began dating a month later, when I was 16. I think we have agreed that the official date was Aug. 12, 2003. So long ago!
Just a side note, we are still good friends with the elders that taught B. We are so grateful for their dedication!
Soon we realized that marriage was in our horizon. This may sound cheesy, but really we both knew we had found our Eternal partners! We talked about our life goals, how many children we wanted, and where we wanted to end up in life. In these discussions, we agreed that we would name our first girl Emily.
In January 2004 Ben proposed to me, and I accepted. About a 9 months later, Ben felt the prompting that he needed to serve a mission. I supported this decision wholeheartedly. He put in his papers and, before we knew it, stepped on the plane headed to Houston, Texas to serve for 2 years. Even though we broke up before he went, because I felt it was the right thing to do, I was still madly in love with this incredibly wonderful red head. I wanted his mission experience to be the best. But, we did write his entire mission. Our relationship was rocky those 2 years. We hurt each other on many occasions, primarily because we were so sad to be apart. Thankfully, Ben did not throw away my engagement ring.
During his tenure in Texas, I was at BYU cramming in classes with the hope that I would marry and start a family with Ben as soon as he came home. That arrival came quickly (and slowly). In a letter, Ben discretely suggested I look for married housing. I agreed with his suggestion and offered that we set a date for marriage. He was coming home on June 2o, so we decided on July 27. I secretly set the temple date and decided to surprise Ben with the reminder note when he came home.
My mother, a few siblings, and I drove to California to meet Ben's return plane. I was so nervous! I was not only seeing Ben for the first time in 2 years, I was also meeting his family for the first time! In fact, we stayed at his mom's house. We arrived the day before he came. It was wonderful to meet and get to know Linda.
The following day we sat at the airport. His expected arrival time came....and went. An hour AFTER he was supposed to get in, we saw him come down the escalators!! My heart flip-flopped. He looked good. He hugged all his family and came to me, we shook hands. I know, I should have hugged him. Because of Ben's unique circumstance, coming home to a different place than where he left from, a stake president had been asked to release him at the airport. We called him up and he came, talked with Ben, and released him. As soon as Ben came back, he swooped me up. I can still remember that feeling.
The next few days were a blur of happiness and romance. I showed Ben our temple date confirmation letter. He was surprised and happy. We began planning for our wedding. It was crazy! Ben flew into Idaho a couple weeks before the wedding to help with last minute arrangements. That is when we took this amazing photo.

The morning of July 27th was absolutely beautiful. The ceremony was amazing, and many tears were shed. The next day we had our reception and ring ceremony. All of B.'s family came and celebrated with us. We were so lucky! Here we are 2 years later.
We have our little Emily (The Queen) and our second baby on the way. I could not be happier! We are both still madly in love with each other! I feel so blessed to wake up in the morning with my sweetheart next to me. Much like Martina McBride's song describes.
The plans we made many years ago were changed as Ben decided his future profession--doctor. But, we have started the family we always wanted. I do love my dear Ben. 2 years and still going strong!! I must say that looking in the future I could not have guessed we would have one baby with one on the way within 2 years of marriage. I also know that I could not have described that happiness I feel every morning. Happy Anniversary Ben!!!!


GGMel was so sweet to surprise us with a 3-D ultrasound of our newest little one. At that appointment we found out that we are having a little boy!!! Here he is making his first appearance in the world!

I am a little anxious. What do I do with a boy? He is a future missionary! At least the Queen will have a playmate to keep her entertained, and hopefully match her energy level!!
We thought we had decided on a name for a boy, but we are now rethinking our decision. So, once we decide I will let you know!
2 babies, graduation, and an amazing husband--all in 2 years!! I pretty much feel like the luckiest girl.

5 comments:

Paul and Shannie said...

Ahhh! I love your story! Happy Anniversary! I also have to say you are one tough woman! I do not know how you can deal with such intense nausea and vomiting! I haven't had it too bad, but I really admire your optimism Amber! (Especially when I lose my lunch!)

-Shan

Bryson and Tara said...

Happy Anniversary! And, how exciting that you're having a boy!

Tyler and Carisa said...

Yay for anniversaries!! Mine is on Sunday! Thank you for sharing your story. I love hearing how people meet and what lead them to each other.

And congrats on having a boy!! That's just sooo exciting!

Terrific Thomas' said...

Yiippppeeee!! Congrats on the boy. They are sooooo much fun!!

Marla and Jim said...

Wow! These images are detailed. How amazing. Seeing these must help you get through your nausea. Keep it up.